Poetry eZine ~ April 2012

Monday, April 2

Anna Groebe: Como un ángel

I found the description of memories in this next poem to be quite moving. This poem reminded me that, sometimes, we have to travel far away from ourselves to see what the source of us truly is. It pulled from the past its images and echoed their significance back out into the world. This poem comes to us from Anna Groebe and is entitled Como un ángel

Como un ángel

When I was fifteen, I went on a mission trip to Cuba. These are a few memories from that trip.

At first I didn’t dance
Ay, chico, no
And I was just fine in my protective shell of silence, thank you.
But then I came home to the most unexpected place
And they sang dame tu mano, sé bienvenido and gave me a kiss
And I gave them my hand, an unexpected welcome guest,
And kissed them back.
She asked me to dance
And I said no, I can’t.
She was worried; ¿por qué?
And the next night she wouldn’t take my two left feet as an answer.
Who knew angels danced salsa?
He wept the last night
Sitting alone in the garden and praying for a way to change what was to be.
I asked ¿qué es el problema?
And they answered you are leaving.
Before we left he gave me a print he made of a woman
And on the front he wrote like an angel
A blessing I hardly deserved.
I can dance now
Dios mío
And my shell gets too cramped to inhabit all the time.
I still come home to that unexpected place
To sing and dance and kiss
Como un ángel, como un ángel.

No comments:

Post a Comment